Translate

Saturday, January 24, 2015

False claim: "No digging, no tilling, and no hoeing."

If there is no digging, are you laying the seedling on top of the bale? WikiHow instructions teach us that digging is very much a part of making a straw bale garden, "Use a trowel to dig a hole in the top of the bale for each plant." Sounds like digging to me. Who is fibbing us into no dig gardens? A State University has this to say, "To plant transplants, such as tomatoes, dig a hole in the top of the bale." I thought we did not have to dig? Which is easier, digging in a straw bale or well mulched soil? And yet the experts are saying, "Straw Bale Gardening: No-Dig Gardens Growing Vegetables"


No tilling. Tilling is a process that prepares the soil. You can use a rototiller and make the soil prepared for your growing bed. I can rototill a garden in about a few hours. How long does it take to prepare a bale? "The conditioning process takes about 14 days," Or you can overwinter your bales. 


No hoeing is a preference for all gardeners. You can use a hoe or not use one. How do you get a weed free garden without hoeing? A straw bale gardening author gives us the answer, "Cover the space between the rows with a weed barrier." Great insight! Thank you! Do you think that any of us gardeners would have weed problems if we could afford expensive landscape fabric? Is that a reason to advertise your book as a breakthrough garden with no weeding?  I could sell any garden book with the claim, Gardening with NO Weeding.

I'm author Larry Zoro. The Hay Baler Revolution started with the question, Why can't we use hay bales instead of buying expensive straw bales for gardening? Why can't I make my own bales instead of being stuck with straw bales? 

When I began, I knew nothing of straw bale gardening and developed my own techniques of growing in hay bales. See my copyright dates on my books and you'll see I'm the Master Hay Bale Gardener. I don't want to use straw bale gardening techniques and never will. I have developed my own.  I am original. 

Let's get down to basics. Nothing grows in straw or hay bales. It is foolishness to think that any kind of bales have nutrition to feed growing plants. After a cow pooped on a bale, it was the seedling that grew from the manure not from the straw. Get in tuned with real horticulture that works.

Beware of Toxic Straw Bales and those who want you to garden in them.



No comments:

Post a Comment