Translate

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Bucket Gardening



I grew two pepper plants in buckets last year. I stuck my 8" PVC pipe in a bucket with drainage holes. I then stuffed hay around the PVC pipe. Next, I filled the PVC Pipe with soil. It sounds like a great idea, don't it. What am I missing?

I am missing the water source. I found this large tray/tote like container that I place under the buckets. I then filled the tray with water. Not so much water  that it would attract mosquito larva. The hay and plant medium sucked up the water from below. If you do get larva, just rinse out the tray. Make sure the tray holds about 3-4 inches of water.

It was a great success. I used half the soil I normally would use in a bucket and grew bell peppers like you would in a regular garden. The plants never died till winter. The two plants gave me enough bell peppers all summer long. PS Make sure to cover the top 2" with soil over the hay. It look prettier and perhaps help turn the hay into mulch.

I'm not so vain to think I am the first one to try this. All I can say is it works. Make sure to use cages. Tie the cages together and make them sturdy.


TIP: If your produce is real small...try a different seed variety. Not all plants are suppose to grow gigantic.


No comments:

Post a Comment