Translate

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Make Money with Strawberries?



I tried strawberries the other year in a bale. I might have put too much peat moss in the soil mixture. All I know is that they kept sinking down, along with the bale. I tried to lift them up and pack in more soil, but they kept sinking. strawberries like sunlight, not growing in a dark hole.

I also had problems with the strawberries producing way too fast. They had strawberries (very few berries) before the plant had a chance to grow.

This year, I have some plants that survived the cold winter. What am I to do about them? I also bought some everbearing quinault. They will produce an early and late harvest of strawberries.

The quinault cost $2.98 at Walmart. You get ten plants. They are the most popular container plants. I plan on buying 10 plastic buckets and a kiddie (all plastic) swimming pool. Many urban dwellers grow right into the swimming pools. They fill it up with soil and plant their crops. The gardeners who cannot grow a particular plant (tomato) in the pool (being shallow) are grown in a bucket with the bottom cut out and laid on of soil filled pool.

Since I'm speaking to master gardeners, what do you suppose, I'll do with the pool? Your right, I am going to set my buckets with drainage holes into the pool of water.  Not so much water that it might attract mosquito larva, but enough for a weeks full of water.

If you could find a way to kill the mosquito larva without killing your plants, you could fill the pool all the way up. Maybe that will be our next study. Believe me, you do not want to breed mosquitoes in the water. (Update:http://ask.metafilter.com)

I had such a success last year with growing pepper plants in buckets, I am definitely going to go with strawberries. Maybe I'll make some money selling fresh strawberries. Do you remember how to grow in a bucket? Go to my bucket gardening Feb 3, 2015 archive.

Til next time master gardeners. Bye! PS: Could you save me your toilet paper cardboard roll? As you see I plant seedling in them. Just as good as peat pots and cheaper. I wonder if you could sell them? Maybe someone should write a book, "Growing with toilet paper." Instead of hay or straw, you make growing pots using toilet paper. Think about it. Next time your're sitting on the john, plant a garden from using toilet paper. It's incredible, but then again, I've heard of growing plants without soil, "Straw Bale Gardens . . . Do Not Require Soil

No comments:

Post a Comment