Translate

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I promise no weeds. Really no weeds. Okay, maybe a few.


I just read in a free straw bale gardening book I got at Amazon. In this one book it says, "Straw bale gardens are just about 100 percent weed free. If you’re an experienced gardener, you might find this difficult to believe until you experience the phenomenon for yourself."  I wonder if these weed free gardeners read any horticulture books? Especially about seed dispersal. But who am I to say. Maybe nothing grows in the straw bale garden. I can tell you. There is not one spot of ground on my property that doesn't like a weed seed. If I leave my pathways unattended, the grass and weeds would keep me out of my garden. 

Take a trip to the weedless areas of your property. See how nothing grows. I hate to break the news, but the more fertile the ground, the more grasses and weeds it will grow. 

I think some plants indicated bad soil type like daisies. I could be wrong. But I wouldn't buy property that had only daisies growing on it. I did a search and I think I hit on something. Daisies are an indicator of what might be lacking in your soil, "An example is the presence of common daisy in pasture, which is often a sign of potassium deficiency (the daisy can still grow well in poor potassium)." 

I have notice that since bales do not grow anything there are fewer weeds in a straw or hay bale garden. The growing medium might get a few once in a while. But for the most part, weeds come form pathway encroachment. We need to smother, hoe, or burn these weeds and constantly maintain them or they will maintain us. Of course you could get into straw bale gardening. They rarely get weeds and also believe in Santa Claus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment