Translate

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Don't Use Wood in Your Garden?

I get a lot of flak for using hay bales. The fear of weed seeds spoiling your garden is common knowledge. I hate weeds but don't blame the aged hay bales. They won't spoil your garden. Today I cut some hay that I will make into bales and then set them aside for aging.  


You do not need acres and acres of land in order to get a lot of hay. 5 acres would be nice but two or three is okay. All this hay was from a little road I cut to the barn from the house. Each wheelbarrow load is enough for a bale.

I set three bales today around my little garden.


Look at all that top mulching that has my hay on top. I guarantee that no weeds are growing from the hay. Some might grow through the hay buy not from spoiled seeds from in the bales.


Anyway, I am still making hay and setting them about. They would make great barriers in order to keep rabbits out. I have a carrot patch outside my garden fence that will find protection by using a freshly made hay bale.

Caution: I will attempt at some humor: Do not use wood. Wood retains weed seeds that will wreck your garden. Here is the proof:


Look carefully the grass is growing in the wood. You must use only treated wood. I am joking of course. Wood is fine to use just like hay bales. Don't use treated wood (chemical poisons in the wood) and don't let the straw bale people sell you a bill of goods by saying only their bale products are the best to use in gardening. It is just not so.

Happy gardening, you hay balers, goodbye till next time....Larry Z  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment