Translate

Friday, July 24, 2015

Do You Like Pesticides?

I bought a cauliflower at the my local store  It was the hugest I have ever seen. It only cost 2 dollars.


It's got to be good, right? I would have been proud to have shown you this large cauliflower if it was grown from my garden but it was not. You would have been amazed at all my organic growing skills after seeing its large size.

No, I did not grow it. The cauliflower came from California. I know that store bought produce have been grown on a toxic farm, but they couldn't have used that much pesticides; could they?

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/DS.jsp?sk=13008

I only found 50 pesticides that were used by the cauliflower growers in California. Could it be that's why it grew unblemished from all that pesticide use?

I often wonder if I would have had more success in gardening by wearing a hazmat suit and using pesticides. I could have sprayed pesticides on all my plants and killed all those pesky little bugs that like to chew my plants. I could have even given my garden a new name, "Toxic Dump Hay Bale Gardens." Of course I would have put a sign up declaring,  "Beneficial Bugs Beware." You see I am thoughtful.


Recently I noticed that mosquitoes and ticks have not been biting me. Can they sense that I've been eating a store bought cauliflower? Maybe the toxins have started working in me so that the insects now fear my presence.

Perhaps this is all fear. Maybe the insecticides that were used on the plant were only on the leaves and not on the cauliflower? Or maybe my fear is genuine. Maybe the whole field that grows cauliflower reeks with poisons. This will probably be my last one that I'll buy. However, I think I am going to continue eating this one even though it might cause some hair loss due to its many toxins. After all, I paid 2 bucks for it.

Sevin Dust Anyone?


Organic farmers used no pesticides but I feel that small amounts could be used. For instance, squash bug eggs. A dab of pesticide will kill the eggs without the gardener trying to remove them by scraping. I have put many holes into my squash plants by trying to remove their eggs.

USE: Make a putty out of your insecticidal dust and apply it on your squash bug eggs. Dab it on with a brush. Whatever you do, do not dust it on like you would salt from a shaker. Use small amounts.  


No comments:

Post a Comment