Translate

Friday, October 2, 2015

Time of Year to Scythe Hay

It's cool, the hay is thick with growth, and it's time to scythe hay. I plan on on getting a lot of bales made this fall. There are a lot of uses for them. Plants you want to winterize might do well insulated among hay bales or I might just leave them to age for my next year's garden. You can also bury bales, grow in bales, or line a canal or trench with bales for easy watering. Bales are also great at smothering weeds or placed around trees for added mulch and moisture.


I tried leaves this year and I'm not impressed. Things grow better in hay bales. Leaves shed off the moisture too easily and there is more watering that needs to be done. Leaves don't wick moisture up like hay bales. I guess, I'm a hay bale man.

January is the time to start your seeds for transplants. You should spend most of your nice days making bales. If you don't have a hay baler. It is a good time to make one. I would not grow a garden without one.

My test for growing in drought was a success. I did actually grow some pumpkins. I wouldn't use my technique again unless water is in short supply.



I might have to move my garden. There is not enough light for great plant growth. Plants like light. I have shade in the morning and evening. Let there be light is my motto. I need to find a place with plenty of sunshine.


I need to start making green Salsa Verde Sauce. I have the main ingredients: tomatillos and the cilantro.  I'll let you know how it turns out. The tomatillo plant has lots of flowers. It really attracts lone bees or what you call solitary bees.  The news is that if the honey bees dies out, the solitary bees will continue with the pollination of our plants. In fact, they are better pollinators than honey bees. If you have time make a nest for solitary bees so they can survive the winter.

News Flash: Solitary bees do not make honey. They are individuals or loners.

No comments:

Post a Comment