Translate

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Bio-Char for Pennies

It was a windy day but perfect for my little trash can burn. See the vapors pouring out of the top vent pipe made out of copper tubing. This was my second burn for biochar. Sometimes if the wood is solid, it needs another barrel burn.

Today I put some old moldy bread into my biochar maker. You can put anything in it. I also like to use bones.

The biochar burned so hot that my tubing vapors lit up like a torch.


In a few hours, I had cooled biochar for my next pot plantings. I use 1/10th of  biochar that is added to my soil mixture.


When you burn in a can, add the garbage loosely. If you get a compacted burn, the vent holes in the bottom of can will plug up and you'll have a warm burn. It is better to cook your biochar twice in your barrel than have a long compacted burn that doesn't burn hot and doesn't make biochar.

No comments:

Post a Comment