Translate

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Honing our Skills: Update on Superdigger, Swimming pool, and Biochar Can

Superdigger: I found that by using the superdigger in moist or wet soil it clings, like it should, to the inside of the PVC pipe. I now use a piece (3-4 ft) of 1/2" conduit tubing (instead of wood) to knock out the mud or dirt. You just feed it through the top and leave it there while you dig. It is simply dig, and knock out the soil in another spot.

Be careful not to dig in rocks. If you hear grinding, stop and use a small trowel and remove the rocks. The sharpened teeth are strong but can wear down in time. I suppose a small file would come in handy to sharpen any dull teeth. I'm not there yet, but I'm thinking about it, especially when I chipped some teeth on chunks of metal found in the soil.

Biochar Can: You do not need the copper tubing, unless you want a piece stuck into it for a handle. The tubing fills up with creosote. There is enough gaps in the loose fitting caps that lets enough vapors to escape without tubing. I would suggest cementing the bottom cap to prevent spillage.

It is also a good idea to keep your can inside a building. You do not want premature rusting.

The swimming pool is great for hot weather but when it is wet in the springtime, I keep the water out of my pool. You don't want to overly water your plants. After a rain, I removed my buckets and dump the water out of my pool.

For my hay bales,  I use a container and remove the excess moisture or just leave it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment