Translate

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Trench Gardening


I was astounded at all the rich mulch that was left behind from last year hay bale garden. I live in a place where the clay is so bad that you could make pots. I used to rotor till my whole garden and distribute the top soil and clay all over the place. Now I grow in trenches. I tell you all about it in my book, "Hay Bale Garden Habitat."

Did I have to double dig my trench fillings? No! All I had to do was add two buckets of my prime soil mixture and rake it smooth on top of my trench. I didn't even worry about making it into a raised bed. The idea about raised beds is to make a bed that has rich soil and is conductive to growing. In my trenches I have the richest soil that will even get better as the years go bye.

I planted lettuce, radishes, and carrots. I then covered them with left over seeding soil. If you took a scoop out of my trench you would see countless worms. The best part about my trench is no wood frames. Why give bugs, like sow bugs, food to multiply.

No comments:

Post a Comment