Translate

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Let's grow in Buckets


1. My method is simple. After making holes in the bottom of the bucket, put in your PVC pipe. The one I used was six inches.

2. Stuff old grass, leaves, or spoiled hay around PVC pipe.

3. Add your soil mixture. 1/10 biochar, manure, peatmoss, and soil in PVC pipe.

4. Twist and remove PVC pipe.


Now it is like a jelly filled doughnut. Instead of jelly in the middle, it has your soil medium.

5. Scoop out or push to the side some soil to make a planting hole.

6. Add more soil on top, covering the hay or leaves.


In this particular pot planting, I planted a pepper plant. Later on as it grows, I'll put a cage in my bucket to help stabilize the plant with its load of peppers. 

It is too early to be growing pepper. If it becomes too cold at night, I'll take my pepper plants indoors. It will be easy to transport, being made with less soil and becoming light weight buckets.

Why use this method? 1. The buckets are light and don't use much soil. 2. By setting the bucket in a container with water, you don't have to water daily. 3. The wet hay or mulch helps your bucket to retain and regulate moisture.  


No comments:

Post a Comment