Translate

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

My Net Works

My garden area is getting too much shade. The oak trees have grown and the shade covers my garden most of the day. I tried growing outside my garden but the critters of the night kept stealing my tomatoes.

Just recently I came up with the idea to use a bird net. The kind of net that they use for fruit trees and berries. It was real easy to use. You drape it over the tomato plant and let the excess remain around the plant. I covered two plants with one net.

The time finally came when I had a ripe tomato. I then waited to see if the thieves of the night would make it through the net and steal the tomato. They did not. It was a success.


So what does it mean. It means that we can buy netting when we grow in unprotected places. Some of your best places to grow is close to your dwelling. You can now grow in any sunny location without the need of a garden fence. Or you can do what I do, I grow all over the place.

Another success I had was with blister beetles. The bug light or zapper really controlled their approach into my yard. As you might recall, The light did not zap them but attracted them to a pot that was left underneath the zapper. The blister beetle was unable to climb or fly out of the container.

Another bonus is that the bug light kills moths. The Indian moth likes to come inside and lay eggs in all our unsealed containers. They also mess up our ceilings with their cocoons.

"The Indian mealmoth, alternatively spelled Indianmeal moth, is a pyraloid moth of the family Pyralidae. Alternative common names are weevil moth, and pantry moth; less specifically, it may be referred to as flour moth or grain moth."

My last success for the year was using a torch to kill bag worms. It really works with little or no damage to my trees. Just recently I noticed some webs with worms on my red-bud tree. Usually I would have to mix up some insecticide and try to spray the webs. The poisonous cloud would almost always blow back into my face due to some gust of wind. Not any more. I now touch them and roast them to oblivion. It really doesn't take much heat to kill an insect. Fire is the great purifier.

No comments:

Post a Comment