Translate

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Bread of Death

Today I listened to a Doctor on PBS talking about wheat. He believes in a no grain diet. He made a lot of sense. Dr William Davis has a great operation going. Since his followers no longer eat grain they must find new ways of cooking and new products to buy. He is available to help those find a new way of eating without consuming grain.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

http://www.iamm.com/gluten.htm

I was almost convinced that wheat was bad to eat until I had the thought that maybe wheat is not the problem but the method they use today in making flour into a fine glue like product. Maybe taking in too much glue-ten (gluten) is causing obesity, diabetes, and other diseases.

http://authoritynutrition.com/6-shocking-reasons-why-gluten-is-bad/

I never heard it said in the olden days that bread was poisonous. In fact a famous prayer says, "Give us our day our daily bread."  What has happened to our bread that  we must now shun it like the plague? Maybe it is not wheat at all but it is the process that wheat goes through that makes it deadly.

Take a look at this site and learn how milling is done today:

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/additives-flour-22941.html

"Modern milling takes place on a series of high-speed steel rollers. As the grain passes across these rollers and is milled into ever-finer powder, it's heated dramatically by friction. That heat, like any other cooking process, destroys many of the natural nutrients in the flour. For decades, commercial flour mills in the United States have replaced those lost nutrients to produce "enriched" flour. The nutrients include B-vitamins niacin, thiamine and riboflavin, as well as iron and folic acid. Some brands also include calcium."

How was it done in the past?


I know everyone want to be modern and do things in a more intellectual way but perhaps our new ways are not the best ways.


Before I studied the old ways of bread making I tried my hand in making a more fibrous bread than what you would find today at your local supermarket. 

I used my coffee grinder and grounded some hard winter wheat. My bread looks sort of crude but I am sure it would be more filling than a loaf of white or wheat bread that you can readily buy today.

There was not that much gluten released after the grinding process. I could tell by the way the coarse flour did not bind the dough together. It was more like a coarse cereal than bread dough. I tried grinding the dough some more in my blender and it did help a little by making it more dough like.


I gave my wife a taste of my grainy bread and she nearly spat it out. I, on the other hand liked the chewiness of the bread and will continue evolving the process and eating it.

There is no end to the variations you can have in making your own Roman style bread. You could add almond (nuts) flour, or vegetables like carrot or squash. Instead of vowing never to eat bread again, why not make it the old fashioned way. I know it takes works but so does injecting yourself with insulin after being diagnosed with diabetes.  

"You may want to think twice before eating your next sandwich on white bread. Studies show that alloxan, the chemical that makes white flour look "clean" and "beautiful," destroys the beta cells of the pancreas. That's right; you may be devastating your pancreas and putting yourself at risk for diabetes, all for the sake of eating "beautiful" flour. Is it worth it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment