Translate

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

5/26 Potatoes/seed germination

New Potatoes



Once your potato plants starts to flower you can look for new potatoes (small potatoes).  I found these fairly easy. Do not uproot your whole plant. Use your fingers and probe beneath the plant. Why harvest the whole plant for only a few potatoes? By not uprooting your plant, you give your potato plant a chance to form more potatoes.


I had my potatoes for lunch. I almost cooked them with the lid on the pan. Using a lid can make your potatoes mushy.


I ate them with my lunch.

Germination

I wrapped some seeds in a paper towel to check their viability.  Have you ever seen a viability chart?



I rolled the seeds in a paper towel.


I stabled the ends and the middle.


I placed them in a cup of partially filled water. The paper towel will wick up the water. No need to submerge the seeds in water. I placed the cup in a dark and warm place (water heater).

Sow Pigs



I read somewhere that sow bugs do little damage. Tell that to these strawberries. Use food grade diatomaceous earth to keep those insect pigs away from your strawberries.





No comments:

Post a Comment