Translate

Thursday, June 4, 2015

6/4 Leaf Mulch Biochar


I finished mulching my garlic bed. Next, I'll have to add more mulch to my onion beds. Where did I get that rich biochar leaf mulch? You have to make it. No one sells it. Probably few know that it exists. Here is another look:


If you made a bet that you could wash off all that soot after handling biochar with just plain water, you would win. Biochar is not soot. It is different. Take a handful and rinse it off only in water and you'll know what I mean. Now take some burned charcoal from your fire place. It will take a  lot more work to get that black stuff off your hands.


The other night I planted some aloe vera from an overgrown pot. It will be interesting to see how it grows outdoors for the summer. I also kept some in the pot.



Here is a picture of plantain. Not the banana but the healthy weed. This one is called, "Lanceleaf Plantain. I think my brother juices it. I tried some today. It's not bad except in taste. It's weird but healthy weird. Most superfoods taste bad. You garden veges are gourmet food compared to most wild herbs.


This is the tomato (beefsteak) I planted in my backyard where my kiddie pool sat. Where did the weeds come from? No, I told you before I grow my own weeds. This happens to be red clover.


This is the tomato plant I showed you the other day. It is already quite large and having flower buds. It is not like the other one in the yard. This one is grown in a leaf bale. It likes growing in a ditch in a leaf bale.


This is my epimedium. It really likes being pampered. I gave it wood chips and soil this year and then some on top of that. See all the new growth? The leaves make great tasting tea.



Guess what I'll be picking tomorrow? If I don't eat it, some one else is going to. That somebody is a worm or another insect. I pick the bottom leaves. The plant keep getting taller and becomes cleaner as it grows. The leaves below are always dirtier.


   


No comments:

Post a Comment