Translate

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Updates and Misc 6/11/15

In my book, "Hay Bale Garden Habitat" I make mention about mushrooms:

Hay Bales and Mushrooms


After a period of heavy rains you might find mushrooms growing in your garden. Do not fear, unless you eat them. Mushrooms can be dangerous to your health but not to your garden plants. Mushrooms will not hurt your garden. Mushrooms display the healthiness of your garden. The presence of mushrooms denotes that your soil is healthy and thriving with life within the habitat. Mushrooms and fungi are beneficial to the environment and play an important role in the lifecycle of your plants. Fungi break down dead plant matter into basic nutrients that your garden plants can use.

This year I am finding a lot of mushrooms growing in various places. Let me share with you some pictures.


When I cut up some cauliflower, I put them on a bale. Immediately within a few days mushrooms started growing on the bale. 


Every morning the older bales have mushrooms.


This little pepper plant mentioned in my survival posts, now has mushrooms growing in the spoiled hay encircling the plant.

Cilantro Update on Harvesting



Cilantro pruned to the ground

 
Cilantro pruned like a bush. You can keep using the bottom leaves.

I tested to see after harvesting my cilantro which is the best method to grow seeds. I read that many cut down the cilantro and then they have it grow back again while letting it go to seed. I prefer my way. Prune your cilantro by pinching off the leaves. Use the leaves for cooking but do not cut down the plant. This cilantro tree (they look like miniature trees) is already flowering while the other plant that was trimmed severely is just beginning to grow again.

Update on Cucumbers



Cucumbers get bitter in hot weather. The temperature range is 75 degrees to 80 degrees F during the day. Here in Missouri we have had a week of hot weather in the 90 degree range. 

I planned on making a shaded place for my cucumbers. When the cucumber starts producing they will hang inside the shaded area of the trench. I allowed Alfalfa to grow around the trench giving my cucumbers the needed shade.


Update: Are they Dead or Did I Water my Pumpkin Plants? 



The pumpkin plants grown by the survivalist are doing well. They are turning green and have no signs of wilting. If they go through a drought, I will have to add grass clipping under the plastic to generate moisture. It is the same way survivalist get water dripping into their collection bucket.

This was just a test. I would not be surprised if one day I report, "They are dead."  One day I placed my finger in a bale growing the pumpkin plant. It was so hot and humid that I asked myself, How are they surviving the hot steam coming from the plastic covered trench?"

Nibbling Rabbit Update: 



I did not have enough bales to protect my carrot patch so I used whatever I could find. It has been working. The carrot plants are now growing big tops.


There is something about onion flower that interests me. This is about the third time I shown it. I am repeating myself.


Anaheim Pepper Plant

I only grew one pepper plant in a bucket. I just never got around to grow more. I thought this was a bell pepper plant. I was wrong.


Beefsteak Tomato

This tomato plant is growing in a hole that was filled with nothing but by my soil mixture. It needs watering but looks healthy. 

Rooting Update:

 

I think I rooted some fine leaves (no signs of growth). I knew I should have rooted some 8" suckers.


No comments:

Post a Comment