Translate

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Planting in the Hot Morning

In order to grow watermelons under some corn I had to work early  in the morning to prepare the soil.


Using cardboard is a good way at recovering weedy garden space. I laid my cardboard down on some tall grasses and then covered it up with unsifted clay soil. I then found the lowest depression and cut a hole large enough to use my 4" superdigger. I dug and filled the hole with my soil mixture and then planted my corn seeds.


I laid some spoiled hay around the hole so I would remember its location. It also makes good mulch.


Finding my corn seeds was easy to do when I have a special  container.  As long as I put the seeds back into the container, I know where to find them. I usually buy my seeds in the fall when they go on sale.

After my work was done and before it got too hot I hurried to see what new flower had bloomed this morning. 


I saw a daylily. 


I also saw a bloom on one of my small marigold plants. 


Every garden habitat gets their visitors. This dragonfly enjoys wheat tassels as much as I do. I called my daughter out to see our visitor and they became friends.


You never know what you will find in your garden habitats. 


Last night I added biochar oak leaf mulch to my onions. This batch was more like cooked leaves than biochar. At least it had no bugs in the mulch. It was very clean.




No comments:

Post a Comment