Translate

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Accidental Watering

Today I left for town and ate at Steak and Shake. They have great salads. I always eat a salad to give me the live enzymes to aid in my digestion.

Salads

When I was shopping I had this idea about using my stainless steel mesh sink strainer for sifting small amounts of soil. Why strain it? It is cheaper than always buying potting soil for small seedling.
Dollar General sales them for  $1.65.

When I got home I looked at my garden. To my surprise, I left the water running. I was amazed that I didn't waste any of it. The water had run off and ended up in my trenches ( I grow some plants in bales in trenches).

It not only filled one trench; it filled all three and none escaped the garden. Today we had 90° F heat and it was okay to give my garden trenches some water.

I had placed my trenches so they would catch the run-off. I first did a simple check. I Placed my hose in the back of my garden and ran for a while. I soon saw puddles forming in my yard from the hose in my garden. It showed me the main direction of the run-off. The water ran mostly North. Since that was the case, I ran my trenches from east to west.


This check might not work everywhere but it did in Missouri. I suppose some places might not have any run-off. It might just run straight down like into a sink hole. I wonder what watering a garden in that situation would be like? The water flowing in an endless hole and going deep within the ground.


This trench filled with so much water that it looked like a swimming hole.


One trench overflowed and the water ran east. It watered some corn.


Before I go. I have to show you my latest bloom. It is a fiery orange daylily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment