Translate

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Cilantro day 6/2

Today was cilantro day. I cut down all the sprigs. One group of  plants I left the seed stalks.


The other plants I sheared down with scissors.


I usually don't like cilantro. It tastes like mild soap to me.


I thought I would try it with some eggs. No not scrambled.

I sauteed some in butter. I didn't do very much since I did not want to be overpowered by its taste.


I put a lid over my skillet so I would not have to flip my eggs and risk breaking the yokes.


I found some three year old jam (it was more like syrup) in the fridge and put it on my toast. The cherry jam tasted as great as when I made it years ago.

I could barely taste the cilantro and what I tasted was mighty fine. I thought it had a strong taste. I took a pinch out of my dryer and it too had a mild flavor. I like it. I'm going to grow more of it.


Since I was drying, I thought I would also do some lettuce.


My bother suggested to dry some lettuce and make it into a powder. It would make a great compliment to stews or other cooked foods. 

I went to the lettuce patches and I picked and I picked and I picked lettuce. Not only did I have enough to dry but also for storage.


I shared a bag with my friends and shoved the other bags into my fridge. This ought to last me for a few weeks. Did you know that lettuce gets sweeter in the fridge? It's bitterness (if it has some) disappears.

I'll leave you with a picture of my flower bed wheat. It is starting to seed. I love the look of wheat tassels.


I think I'm going to start quoting Ben Franklin. He is my favorite early American writer.

"There are no gains without pains; then help, hands, for I have no lands" BF

We should start memorizing them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment