Translate

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I'm a Baleologist: I Study the Science of Growing in Bales

There is a science in growing in bales. I remember the time I planted parsley in a green bale. What was I thinking? It's shown in one of my videos. What isn't shown is that it died in a week. Why? I was ignorant in the science of growing in bales.

Most people are ignorant in the science of gardening until they become master gardeners (not the kind in name only). Science is not that easy to come by. I wanted to find out the answer of a simple question, "What is the ideal temperature for plant growing (not starting seedlings)? We know that seeds begin to die at 108 degrees F and definitely die at 140 degrees F but what is the ideal temperature for plant health? Could the death temperatures for seeds be the same for plants, I don't know yet. Are plants more fragile?

I had an idea to see what the soil temperatures were in different part of Hawaii. Hawaii is the most ideal place to grow, right? I found a sight that gave me real useful information for a price. They wanted $75.00 just for viewing their data. How would you like to make that kind of money when people view your posts? I'm not rich and I'm not stupid so I declined their offer.


Today I made a green bale. I'm leaving the question about optimum growing temperatures for another day. I went out into the hot elements and found the most weediest and seediest materials in order to make a green bale. I even added some mint, the notorious plant that consumes gardens with it pervasive root system.

I chose the weediest and seediest materials.


It's green

 It is a simple test. I'm going to check the temperature of the bale at different times of the day and week. I feel like a volcanologist. Maybe, I'll get spontaneous combustion; the bale will consume into a ball of fire lighting up my garden. My water hose is nearby, so I should be safe. I haven't yet seen a bale fire, but anything is possible doing field work with green bales. I wonder if I should put on a fire-retardant suit and gloves just to be safe. It is tough being a hay baleologist (a new word for our type of science) . 

I chose a weedy location to lay my bale.

Well enough silliness, I've got probing to do. It will be interesting to see if I get seed destructive heat that also kills the grass beneath the bale. Time will tell but for now I have a nice 78 degrees F. You can grow in it but it won't live long.











No comments:

Post a Comment