Translate

Thursday, April 16, 2015

More on Corn/ Garlic/ Mortar and Pestle


More on Corn 

I did four corn seed plantings today. I found out that if I funnel the hole before I lay the cardboard down it works better at retaining the water. The first four I did wasn't that great. They only fill up with water on one side. 

I only spent about an hour on my corn. It helps having a pile of dirt next to my work. I had so much dirt left from my trenches last year that it was easy to mound my plantings.

Of course my method is unpractical if you are feeding the neighborhood. My methods don't cater as much to quantity of vegetables produced but more to the quality of the food that I do harvest. Everyone has heard of gourmet chefs. Think of me as a gourmet gardener. I  deal with high caliber gardening techniques that uses specialized skills. When you come to my garden you will not see your run- of- the- mill garden. Techniques that use cardboard, wood, hay, and stubble. Come to think of it, it sounds more like ghetto gardening. Give me your welfare seeds and your boxes and I'll grow you a garden.


Biochar Beauty


I had to show you a picture of more biochar wood chips. It almost looks like you could grown in it without soil. I wonder?


Garlic

It's hard to tell the garlic from the grass. I did some weeding. Do you see the garlic? Let's see, if I grew garlic in straw bales that cost five dollars apiece; it would cost me about $100.00 just to grow garlic that you see here. Why would anyone want to limit themselves to one way of gardening? 

I wrote books on hay bale gardening and yet I haven't showed too many hay bales in my posts. This year I specialize in leaf bale gardening. Oh yeah, we can't forget my cardboard bale. Maybe I'll do a cardboard garden next year. I could see it now. Plants growing out of boxes.

Did I tell you that you can grow out of kleenex tissue paper? Save all your old paper towels, and facial paper and make a bale and grow a plant. You might want to wear gloves doing that project.


Mortar and Pestle


I dry a lot. I hate chunky dried tomatoes so I mortar and pestle them. Beats grinding. Easy cleanup and no power. I believe I got this mortar and pestle at Marshalls. You get name brand stuff at discount prices. It's small but all I could afford. 










No comments:

Post a Comment