Translate

Monday, April 6, 2015

Tortillas Anyone? Also a 4/14 Update


I come from California and love Mexican Food. I don't think anyone from California doesn't like tacos, enchiladas, burritos, chili rellenos, and taquitos. However, not everyone appreciates Mexican food. Even my spell checker got confused with some of those Spanish names and showed spelling errors.

I went shopping and found that for a ten pack of tortilla shells it cost about $2.50. No way! I'm not paying that price anymore.  I went home and made my own press out of an old cutting board. I now make tortillas for dimes (It used to be pennies until inflation). I cut the  board in two and put two hinges on it. To use I press the boards together with my hands.

My cutting board was so worn or dimpled (the board should have a flat surface) that I had to use my fingers on the dough and pinched around the edges after the first press. Going around the edges by pinching causes the dough to stretch even more. After pinching I pressed the dough again and cooked it on an electric pan cake griddle.

When using your board make sure you  use saran wrap and sprinkles of flour to keep the tortillas from sticking on the wrap.

Here is an easy recipe that made the tortillas shown in the above picture. The taste of homemade shells are far better than what you buy. The recipe below makes 18 shells.

Link: http://thecafesucrefarine.com/2013/08/best-ever-homemade-flour-tortillas/

4/14 Update



I now like to use my Pizza Roller. I press the dough and it gives it the round shape. I make the tortilla thinner by using my pastry and pizza roller. You can get one for around $10 at Amazon.

Don't overcook your tortilla or they will become more like crackers. Look at these brown burritos that were easily folded.




No comments:

Post a Comment