Translate

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

My First Salad


Look at that baby lettuce and radishes. They are so young and fresh. Oh, my! That's the wrong picture. That is what I fed the dog: lettuce, cheese, and roast meat....Let's see, I got the picture somewhere. Here it is...


Anybody can grow food. You basically drop a seed in the ground, give it a little care, pray for a blessing and wait. Some of us want magical gardens. Many sell books claiming of no weeding, no hoeing, no varmints, no work and some even claim of using no soil. Gardeners want magic and magic sells. 

Do you see the salad above? I did not use straw bales or hay bales. I used soil and hay that had been composted by my previous hay bale garden. There was no magic to it. It did take a little work to prepare the bed and but it used hardly no well water due to spring rains. 

When you harvest leaf lettuce, pick the outside larger leaves and keep the plant rooted in the ground. Leaf lettuce will grow new leaves for more salads. If your lettuce starts becoming bitter, leave the picked leaves in your fridge for a day or two.  Cooling your lettuce takes the bitterness away.

No comments:

Post a Comment